https://i.ibb.co/XyPc5hz/68d5a09122f8.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/X11uMSz.png

Farmdale Festivities - Atlanta Homes and Lifestyles
Legendary designer, lifestyle and entertaining expert JAMES FARMER opens his home for sublime Southern holiday hospitality
Farmdale Festivities.

Legendary designer, lifestyle and entertaining expert JAMES FARMER opens his home for sublime Southern holiday hospitality.

Written by Suzanna Cullen Hamilton Photographed by Emily Followill.

"My grandmother always said that a recipe is just a suggestion," says designer and entertaining expert James Farmer, and this year the family-recipe coconut cake includes cranberries.

Farmer's foyer doubles as his dining room and the abundant wreaths on the front of the house are replicated on the chair backs.

It's not abnormal to see the color coral worked into Farmer's holiday decor, as it was his mother's favorite.

The coral porcelain lamps work perfectly with the spray of red berries in the vases.

Floral designer Mary Cox Brown of Marigold Designs in Birmingham has long been a trusted resource for Farmer, and her arrangements flow perfectly with his aesthetic.

Massive sugar pine cones from the Pacific Northwest create a striking garland along the stairs while every counter and table in the house is prepared for Farmer's large family.

Chinese Chippendale bamboo barstools are a light and airy counter to the reclaimed beams and open shelving that hold Farmer's collection of china and serving pieces.

The backdoor provides easy access to cutting herbs when cooking.

"We use every dining area at Christmas when all of our family gathers for two big meals that day," says Farmer.

A large selection of linens and china provides Farmer the opportunity to mix and match the island and dining table place settings.

Color palettes and food vary from year to year at Farmdale, but the constants of wreaths, flowers and cakes remain family favorites.

Color palettes and food vary from year to year at Farmdale, but the constants of wreaths, flowers and cakes remain family favorites.

"I don't want to rearrange the whole house for christmas … I focus most on what is seasonal and what will last." —James Farmer.

Grasscloth becomes a calming neutral in Farmer's living room when paired with printed fabrics, paintings and flowers.

Farmer is adept at blending periods and styles.

His living room features a Chinese Chippendale coffee table, a Tabriz rug and a mantel with dentil molding that mix with rustic beams, brick and contemporary upholstery in luxurious fabrics.

Pea gravel, brick, boxwoods and magnolias surround a garden folly in his formal garden where a large vintage pineapple sculpture—a sign of Southern hospitality—greets visitors from the brick gate posts.

"I love 'Welcome Home' moments," says Farmer, who firmly believes that everyone should love to arrive at home and, in the process, be welcomed by a plethora of plants and blooming flowers.

James Farmer is one of America's preeminent experts on gracious Southern living, and when he entertains for the holidays, it's a feast for the senses.

"Everything must be fresh, fun and festive," says Farmer.

From cocktails to dessert, from wreaths and garlands to table settings and linens—every detail is curated by Farmer to create an unforgettable experience.

Designed by Robert Norris of Spitzmiller & Norris, Farmdale is the designer's personal home and just one of the many homes on his family's land.

Beamed ceilings made from reclaimed wood add patina while bricks made from Georgia red clay that were acquired when an old church was torn down in Macon are just two of the spectacular elements that make Farmdale feel as though it's been there for generations.

Inside, holiday decorations layered throughout the house sparkle with joviality.

Boughs of garland and abundant wreaths strewn across the front of the house greet visitors, including Farmer's large family that enjoys a progressive feast of brunch and dinner on Christmas Day.

However, as much as Farmer loves to create holiday environments, he confesses, "I don't want to rearrange the whole house for Christmas." His signature method for holiday decorating involves using a basic foundation with details that change every year so that the colors, decorations and food are never the same.

Farmer is inspired by different places, periods, palettes and palates, but he always makes it relatable to his beloved South.

He delights in Christmas coral as well as variations of the family recipe-made Christmas coconut cake, which for this year, is the cranberry version.

The details that matter most to Farmer are longevity and freshness.

"I focus most on what is seasonal and what will last," says Farmer.

Pots of paperwhites, amaryllis, nandina, holly and large sugar pine cones are just a few of the wonderful winter options that endure for weeks.

For pops of color, Farmer recommends a few fresh buds.

Farmdale hack